Monday, February 16, 2009

Atlantis Marine World Adventure

Part 2 of my live rock shipment came today, and it is AMAZING. However, I haven't processed the pictures, so you'll just have to wait a little longer for that post. Meanwhile...

As many of you already know, I finally caught Larry, the Mantis Shrimp that was residing in one of my rocks. Larry would pick on the fish that will eventually make their way into my tank, so he had to go. I didn't want to kill the poor guy, and I didn't have anywhere else to put him. So, I posted on a LI Reefkeeping message board that anybody who wanted him and had a place for him could have him for free... well, I got a response that I was not expecting. It was the head reefkeeper at Atlantis Marine World (the LI aquarium) - Joe. Basically, Joe said that if I brought Larry to AMW, he would give me a coral frag or two for my trouble. We later found out, that if Larry is a decent predator of a certain type of pest in the main reef tank, he will be placed in there to hopefully hunt those pests (I think he said copepods, but don't exactly remember). If not, Larry will be the #1 backup to the display Mantis Shrimp. It's good to know he's going to have a good home.

My dad decided to tag along for the ride (it takes about an hour to get there). Well, we got the royal treatment from the minute we arrived, let me tell you. Joe showed us all the behind the scenes nuggets we could dream about. Let's just say that the back area of that place is just as big if not bigger than the display areas! We got to see the breeding and prep area, including the frag farm Joe runs. We also got to see the equipment he is running, and he explained a little bit about it. He has at least five or six protein skimmers running that are the size of a small swimming pool, each. The main reef tank that they have there is around 25,000 gallons, and we got to go on top of it, and look down. He has more lights running on top of that tank than I even own in my house! Just out of curiosity, we began to ask many questions, one of which was about the electricity use. In a normal month, their electric bill is around $30,000! For one month! In the summer, when they have to run several chillers, it can be as high as $60,000. Just for electricity.

Well, needless to say, we truly enjoyed our time at AMW today, and Joe, if you're out there in cyberland, thank you for the tour, taking the time to talk, and for the frags. So far (eight hours later), they are thriving well. Both have opened up nicely under my T5 lights - which are so very dwarfed by your system. :)

For the LI locals out there, please consider becoming a member at AMW. You get free admission as many times as you'd like, as well as several other benefits. I am seriously considering it after today. And for the rest of you out in cyberland, please support your local Aquaria. They are definitely in need of your business - it takes a lot of electricity to run those places!

I'll be back soon to post pics of part 2 of the live rock package. Trust me, it's worth the wait! Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment