Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Life and Color Arrive

I finally recieved my second shipment of "the Package" from Tampa Bay Saltwater. I had to wait for part 1 to cycle (see post below explaining the cycle, if you're interested), and now I have the rest of it. I was able to make a first attempt at aquascaping. Not 100% convinced I'm going to keep this layout ultimately, but for now it'll do. I think this is awesome... there is so much life and color in the tank, and I don't even have any fish, yet! Without further ado, here are some pictures:



Full Tank Shot (FTS)

From the left side


From the right side


An orange tree sponge (with yellow ball sponge below). There is also a red tree sponge, and two purple gorgonians (one is very branchy, and the other is more sticky).



Large Feather Duster Worm




Small, yellow, unidentified clam. I also have two jewel box clams.





Not sure, but it's either a rock anemone or a flower anemone.



Some kind of pinkish plant life. Came on the rock.


One of forty blue-legged hermit crabs.


Flame scallop.


White Condylactis Anemone with Magenta Tips. I placed it on top of the rocks, thinking anemones like a lot of light and a lot of water flow. He had something else in mind, and walked down the rocks.


Unfortunately, it was down the back of the rocks.



Some purple kind of sponge or coral of some sort. It started opening up as I was working on the final aquascaping.



My first fish! Salfin/Algae Blenny (I think). He came with the rock. Still shopping around for a name for this guy.


One of the coral frags I got from AMW yesterday (see previous post for explanation). It's a zoanthus sp., not sure which one.


Spider Crab or Arrow Crab, again not sure
Also, not shown, but included in the shipment were Culerpa Mexicana Algae (looks like small ferns), cup corals, barnacles, a peppermint shrimp, a red serpent star, a donkey dung sea cucumber, a tiger tail sea cucumber, a baby tiger goby, various snails, various sponges, small feather dusters, and plenty more. Most of them went into hiding once they were added to the tank, so I didn't get a picture of them in time. Who knows, we may never see them again. Or, maybe they'll come out when I start feeding the tank. Believe it or not, I'm not supposed to feed the tank for at least two weeks. This way, all these filter feeders and clean up crew actually do some cleaning.
I think I'm going to go to the LFS to get my first fish this week or weekend. I have the quarantine tank finally cycled, and it's going to take about 2 weeks for the main tank to finish cycling now that I've added all the above goodies - just enough time to quarantine the first fish. The main tank will finish cycling right around the time the first one is ready to come on up from the basement. Which one should I get?

No comments:

Post a Comment