Saturday, February 21, 2009

Good News and Bad

Well, I'll start with the bad news. I had my first casualty. The blenny that came along with the rock was floating upside-down when I got home from work yesterday. I tested all of the parameters in the tank, and everything was well within the expected and acceptable ranges. I'm still not sure why it's dead. I was told that I didn't need to feed the fish, because it would eat the algae and other growth on the new live rock. I'm thinking maybe he didn't eat the algae, or maybe I should have fed it. Oh well, at least he was free.

Now, for the good news! I have fish! My quarantine tank has three new inhabitants for the next few weeks. I got a pair of ocellaris clowfish (as in, Nemo). They swim together, and seem to be very happy and healthy. I also got a yellow watchman goby. It is a sand-sifter, and will actually carry sand in its mouth. This fish has not looked the greatest - his color is darker than when he was at the store, and he also does not seem to be eating while I am watching him. His breathing has not increased, there are no spots, no fin rot, or any of that other type of obvious disease indication. I am obviously going to keep my eye on him for the next few weeks, and hopefully he'll pull through. Now, for some pictures:

Yellow Watchman Goby

Yellow Watchman Goby

Ocellaris Clownfish Pair


Ocellaris Clowfish Pair

No comments:

Post a Comment